Re: To Turbo or not to Turbo

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: To Turbo or not to Turbo
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:54:50 -0800
If you're thinking of boosting a SR20, I  think you should get the DET block
rather than boosting a DE.
I'm not familiar with the specifics of the engine, but often motors designed
to be boosted from the factory have stonger rods, oil spray bars, lower
compression pistons, engine management computer, etc. designed for it.
The cost of modfying a DE motor may end up being as expensive as a DET
motor. The intercooling piping is going to add $$$ to the cost of the swap
as well no matter which engine you turbo.

Like Gordon said, turbo or supercharger will stess an engine. Maximum boost
is limited by pulley size on a supercharger, or the wastegate on the turbo.
I think that a supercharger is better for driveabilty and you don't have as
much underhood heat increase by using the exhaust gasses. You also have to
fabricate only half the plumbing of the turbo(intake only).  Turbo is good
for people who keep wanting more and more and it is much easer to increase
the amount of boost.

If it were my roadster, I'd drop in the DE . And if that wasn't enough,  I'd
drop in a jackson racing supercharger to add 50hp(~5psi w/o intercooler)
But that's from someone who feels a stock 1600 accelerates like a civic.

Steve
70' 1600