Alternator wire colors

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator wire colors
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:00:26 -0800
Looking at the alternator wiring in my '66 1600, I notice that one of the
wires has electrical tape around it near where it goes into the alternator.

I remove the alternator, then the tape, and discover the tape is hiding
corrosion -- only a few strands of wire left. Looking at the other wires,
another one is in similar shape right where it enters the rubber grommet.
This may or may not be the cause of my system not charging, but it sure
ain't good. :(

I rec'd a new alternator w/ the car, however the connector plug is square
instead of the existing round.  No problem, I'll just splice the old round
connector onto the new alternator. This should suffice until it's time to do
the one-wire GM alternator conversion.

Problem is the wiring colors:

Old alt: yellow, white, orange, dark turquoise blue
New alt: red, white, blue, black

To make it more interesting, the other side (female) of the plug going to
the voltage regulator is three orange wires and one dark turqouise blue.

But wait! There's more!

The wiring diagram shows different colors between the alternator and voltage
regulator [b]PLUS[/b] two more wires: a black one to ground (unless this
just represents the mechanical connection to the engine) and a white wire
going to a 30A fuse in the fuse box......sigh.  :roll:

Can anyone shed some light on what this should be?  Or should I/can I get a
rebuilt alternator w/ the right connector?

Thanks.

                        `  ___  '
Pete                   -  (O o)  -