Re: Alternator wire colors

To: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator wire colors
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:05:22 -0800
Frame of reference:
> Looking at the alternator wiring in my '66 1600...

> I rec'd a new alternator w/ the car, however the connector plug is square
> instead of the existing round.

The square plug is correct.

> Problem is the wiring colors:
> ...the other side (female) of the plug going to
> the voltage regulator is three orange wires and one dark turqouise blue.

Because the PO rewired to be able to use that funky round-plugged
alternator.

> The wiring diagram shows different colors between the alternator and
> voltage regulator [b]PLUS[/b] two more wires: a black one to ground
> (unless this just represents the mechanical connection to the engine)
> and a white wire going to a 30A fuse in the fuse box...

That's correct. Four wires thru a 2x2 square plug, plus the white
wire that is the actual output from the unit and a black wire that
attaches to the frame. The white wire comes off an insulated stud,
and the black wire bolts right to the case. You want the black wire
to be at least as heavy as the white - preferably a gauge heavier.
And make sure it's long enough to still have room to flex when
the engine is jumping around.

-- John