Re: Chrome Plating

To: "J.E." <srldatsun@yahoo.com>, "Norm deCarteret" <normdec@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Chrome Plating
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:25:24 -0500
Although I didn't use them I know someone who did and was not pleased as the
chrome peeled off after being installed on his car for a year or 2.

A proper chrome plate job is a strike of nickel then copper then nickel then
chrome. The copper coat is polished as it's soft and a good chrome plater
will do several strikes of copper to get rid of shallow pits.

Cars built in the 30s and 40s also had a first strike of zinc which is why
their chrome lasted so long - the zinc acted as the sacrificial surface.

>From what my friend told me is that there was only 1 strike and that was
chrome. Chrome does not stick well to bare metal.

There's a reason their prices are so low unless they send off the stuff to
China where there are no pollution laws to speak of - or Mexico.

Mike