Fw: mystery Bob Sharp car

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: mystery Bob Sharp car
From: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:34:18 -0500
> Bob Sharp GT33 special. option package, not much else. this car was
whacked
> hard in the front and rebuilt cosmetically by Harry Hults in  westford NY
up
> north of Schenevus between oneonta and albany. Harry was an old friend,
did
> bodywork too many years and developed heart problems which he died of at
> around 64. the car had under 30k miles, he was going to sell it to me and
> wanted $2,950 for it. I only managed to scrape up $2,750 and he wouldn't
> take it. I heard later that's what he ended up selling it for. I was
either
> in college or just out of college in oneonta, and was in my Z car phase
> before I found roadsters and got religion. was a nice car but salt looks
> have taken it's toll. car was sold new I believe in Oneonta by Paul
Stowe's
> Nissan dealership. I worked for Paul for 3 days once, sold 4 cars
including
> a BMW 1600 sedan, and when I asked for that evening off because I had
> tickets for a bus/beer/whatever bash ride up to syracuse to a Dead concert
> the asshole fired me because I asked twice (sold the 4th car inbetween
> requests) had paid like $45 apiece for the ride/bash tickets.
>
> Craig
>
> hope that helps. Harry's brother Ralph, another bodyman now deceased,
> painted the 11 coats of black lacquer on my '54 Studebaker about 30 years
> ago. he survived getting blown up when his pit in his garage exploded
while
> he was under a car working...burned one eyelid off but they reconstructed
it
> he was finally going to take his first vacation in about 30 years and had
> rented a big class A motorhome and dropped dead. moral: have your fun
while
> you can, take time to take those vacations.
>
> Ralph and Harry's brother Johnny still lives in Schenevus and has gotten
> more into selling cars and less into the bodywork. he'd worked on my
> Studebaker too I'm not sure about brother Frankie, but he went out driving
> one night in a big old cadillac headed west from schenevus toward
oneonta...
> woke up in the middle of a farmer's field, car stalled... drove it out to
> the bewilderment of the farmer coming onto the field in his tractor...
only
> had tracks where he landed and drove out. had left route 7 about 40'
> vertical above the field, over the fence, and landed about 200' from where
> he left the road forward and 75' off to the side... good thing he was
asleep
> or he might have gotten hurt. bent the frame on the caddy slightly but
drove
> it away.  not recommended behavior.
>
> Harry's son Harry Junior owns a bodyshop in Indiana somewhere these days,
> probably called Hults Autobody. he used to keep a loaded revolver in his
night stand for whatever reason and one of his 3 kids got hold of it and
shot his sister/brother with the bullet going thru and hitting the other
sibling  moral: don't leave loaded guns around where the kids can play with
them... and a 2 for 1 no less... son Guy I think works for Harry Jr. in
Indiana. they do nice bodywork. don't know about cost. Harry was wearing
gold chains around his neck last I saw him- may have been his dad's funeral.
I really wasn't emotionally ready for Harry to bite it, he was a really good
friend. painted a few roadsters for me later on, too.

Craig