Re: Set of valves for a U20

To: "jm.rider@verizon.net (Jon and Maggie Rider)"
Subject: Re: Set of valves for a U20
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:26:55 -0600
> Jon

> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has a decent spare set of valves (new or
> used) for a U20 head that they could part with?  I'm having a head rebuilt.
> I really only need a single exhaust valve but looking at the way the
> adjustment nuts are setting, I'd like to start over with a complete set.  If
> so, let me know what it will cost me too.  Thanks

Jon,

What's wrong with the valves you have now? Have the stems been shortened or
are they worn, or have the faces been cut to the point that they're too thin
or narrow to use? If your adjusters are extended out quite a bit then I'm
thinking that the valves may be sunken into the head because the seats need
to be replaced. Also are you sure you the lash pads are the correct
thickness?

I guess my main point is to check the valves you have against spec before
blaming them for geometry issues. There are a bunch of places other than the
valves themselves in the U and L series engines that offer plenty of chances
to mess up valve train geometry. Make sure any machine shop you use is
familiar with what's required. Redoing an early Datsun OHC head is a whole
different ball game than the garden variety domestic push rod engine.

FWIW,
Ron