Kewl Kar Dead

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kewl Kar Dead
From: "Chas Willis" <fairlady@putermail.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 19:06:12 -0400
Actually wounded.

I've had this 1968 2000 for a couple of years. Hasn't given me any trouble
at all. Put in the Boone Electronic ignition about a year ago, works great
put in a new exhaust system this year. I drove her from Pa to southern
Virginia this summer, with no problems. It's always had some electrical
issues , turn signals and dash lights ect.. But today I went out to start
her and the battery was dead.  Jumped her, drove around the block, parked it
and pulled the battery to charge. Later when I tried the battery again, the
car would turn and fire but when I released the key she'd die, if I held the
key in between start and run she'd run. I'm assuming the ignition switch is
dead but want to make sure that there isn't something else that I might be
missing due to lack of experience.

Now two pieces of info that might have a bearing but might not.

First when my son  put the battery back and started to put the cables on he
had them backwards but it didn't spark at all as the battery hadn't taken
much of a charge. (could we of fried an inline fuse?) (the EI must be ok
cause she runs with the key held)

Second we just had a heck of a storm and she was out with only the rag top
for protection and picked up a ton of water both drivers and passenger side
floorboards wet . Could water be causing a short in the dash?

Chas

1968  2000

1969  2000