Re: Painting tip needed

To: stan k <stathy@shaw.ca>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Painting tip needed
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:57:36 +0000
Boy, that really depends on the system you use.
Most modern paints require you to put down the entire
package in one go- the coats 'melt' into each other for strength.
And the upper coats expect quite a bit of softness to the ones
beneath them.

That said, look at the product data sheet- it'll tell you.

Frankly, given the fast flash times of most paints,
I can seal, basecoat, and clearcoat an entire car in maybe 3 hours-
in fact, if it takes longer, I've had system problems.
I put on a complete coat, refill the gun, then start again.
It flashes as fast- if not faster- than I can work my way around the car.
And I'm a rank amateur- I shoot a car maybe every
couple of years, with a few 'partials' here and there.

Personally, I just like getting it done- it takes longer to
clean everything and mask up than it does to put color on.

fwiw,
Toby
Seattle
'68 1600- Isuzu blue, PPG Concept single stage (welcome to 1990!)

From: stan k <stathy@shaw.ca>