Re: Fasteners, ball joint material , specs, -clarification and

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fasteners, ball joint material , specs, -clarification and
From: Dave Dearinger <daved@mdon-line.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:16:23 -0700
please don't have the design changed to eliminate the Delrin bearing
surface. If these ball joints are designed like many modern ball joints
it will be constructed of a cast steel body that attaches to the a-arm.
Inside the steel body is a Delrin cup that supports the steel ball and
tapered stud with the castellated nut. Delrin in this capacity is a
superior material to an older all steel design. Delrin wear surfaces can
be replaced and ball joint assemblies could potentially be rebuilt just
by replacing the Delrin material. Delrin has similar characteristics as
steel under compressive loads. Delrin has a low friction coefficient
resulting in less wear to the ball portion of the joint, it also
maintain a lower lubricant temperature and less lubricant loss from
thermal expansion and lower viscosity.

Read some information on Delrin.
http://plastics.dupont.com/NASApp/myplastics/Mediator?id=30

-Dave Dearinger