Re: [Roadsters] R16 Header flange?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "'Daryl Smith'" <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] R16 Header flange?
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:09:06 -0400
Daryl,
That's probably going to be tough to find without buying a whole new header.
The flange for my U20 header was custom cut with a plasma cutter out of 1/2"
steel, and then the tubes re-welded to that. The machine shop really seemed
to know what they were doing, too. They added some very small cuts (like
with a band saw) from the bolt (stud) holes to the outside of the flange as
expansion joints, since it's bolted to an aluminum head.

It shouldn't cost too much. Take your header to a machine shop. They'll make
you one right then, most likely. They could probably even cut the old flange
off and re-attach the pipes to it. A muffler shop may or may not be able to
make the flange, but they could certainly attach it to your header.

I wasn't able to find just the flange from the vendors. Personally, I'd buy
a new one and eBay your current one to recover the shipping costs of the new
one.
Dean's site,
http://www.datsunparts.com/exhaust) has new headers (1/2 inch flange) from
$120 - $245, depending on just what you want. The more expensive ones are
ceramic coated.
Rallye's (http://www.datsunroadster.com/SUB_SECTION_DIRECTORIES/exhaust.htm)
appear to range from $164 - $244.
Don's (http://www.risingsunracing.com./parts_new_exhaust.htm) are $169.95.