Re: [Roadsters] mirror removal

To: "Gary Tew" <garytew@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] mirror removal
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:55:52 -0700
On the Lexus SC forum there has been quite a bit of discussion about
restoring the headlights.  It probably is a good discussion for anyone with
modern headlights that have turned white or developed other problems.  It
might work for separating a mirror from the mount.

They are talking about setting the kitchen oven for about 150 degrees and
placing the headlight assembly in the warm oven for about 20 minutes.  That
softens the adhesive that holds the headlight assembly pieces together and
allows them to be separated.  After cleaning the plastic pieces with metal
polish or other plastic cleaner they glue things back together again and it
looks as good as new.  I got lucky with my SC400.  A little metal polish on
the exterior and they were clear as a bell.

I think I would try heating the mirror assembly and see if it might work
there as well.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland