Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild

To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild
From: "James Fogg" <James@jdfogg.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:11:51 -0500
>   Is there anything wrong with rebuilding an engine that doesn't
> desparately need it? Any negatives? I was thinking that with the
running
> engine, maybe I could add a hotter cam and maybe a couple of other
things
> (headers, exhaust) to boost performance without going the whole
stroker
> route right now (all my money is currently tied up in an extensive
house
> remodel - so long, car paint fund). Any other ideas on performance
mods I
> can make that aren't too extensive and expensive to take car of while
I'm
> at it? What kind of HP growth can I expect from any of these?

The only thing that comes to mind is the amount of material removed. You
can only remove so much before you run out.

If you deck the block, align-bore the crank journals or cam journals,
bore for oversize pistons or anything else the removes metal you will
eventually run out of metal.

If your cylinders don't need boring (no odd shapes, tapers or wear),
then a nice honing and new rings will liven up an older engine. Older
engines can benefit from a valve job, and a fancy cam is always fun,
though you might not think so after you get done tuning the carbs and
ignition for the new cam profile.

Rebuild time is a great time to repaint the engine, and everything else
under the hood. When you are done you'll have an engine that you can
trust, and it should solve any leaks you might have.

And the next time you rebuild a Datsun engine you'll be faster.