Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info

To: ljordan704@netscape.net, RWM@RWMann.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info
From: Jerry Krakauer <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:32:43 -0400
FWIW, I never used NGKs, always Champions and never had problems.  Usually
N3(colder) or N5(hotter) or their extended tip counterparts N6Y or N9Y.  For
racing of course I used Champion's line of racing plugs, usually N58R or
N60R. Those are the plugs with the electrodes hidden up inside the shell
with the need of a special tool to gap them.  Great for racing, ran cool and
no electrode clearance problems for those with close valve and piston
tolerances. However, very easy to foul at low rpm, many a racer's race
effectively ended on the starting grid!

The bests solution I found was a line of Champion platinum electrode racing
plugs. Yes, platinum in the early 1970s, not 1985 as that article suggested.
The plug I used was an N2G, looked sort of like a standard plug, but with
rather thin platinum wire electrodes. Ran cool enough for racing and solved
the fouling issues. BTW, N2G was what Sharp used on his roadsters, and I
thing the Z car too.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311-00099