Re: [Roadsters] Advice request

To: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Advice request
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:20:55 -0400
hi matt, here are a some of my recommendations on eng. rebuild:

leave off the lower chain guide, they eventually break and lay in the

bottom, rattling. i like to use lock tite to make sure things dont come

loose: both tensioners, upper guide, cam gear bolts, oil pump

mounting(2 nuts), jack shaft(intermediate shaft) bolt. do not put

lock tite on head bolts, rod cap bolts, main brg. bolts, cam brg. cap

nuts. mount the cam in the head without the lifters(followers) and be

sure you can turn the cam by hand(both hands if necessary). if not,

then you need to shim up the cam towers, or have the top of the head

machined, (and you still have to shim up the cam towers, so the

timing chain will be tight enough, and the cam timing will be right).

be sure your machine shop guy grinds(resurfaces) the valve stems, if he

grinds the seats. grinding the valve seats allows the valves stems to stick

up more. then, when you adjust the followers(adj. valves), you have very

little thread left to adj. the valves. look at the valve stem, cam, cam
follower

and imagine if the valve stem was a little longer, what it will do to the

adjuster threads. if ive confused you, call me.  keep track of which way the

rods go on the crank(if you separate the rods and pistons). well, i suppose

i could go on and on. just make notes, or take pics of how things come

apart, for reference.   best of luck, bob smith, ohio
                                                  614 418 9911> From:
matthews517@earthlink.net> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date: Tue, 17
Jun 2008 06:06:11 -0400> Subject: [Roadsters] Advice request> > Hi All,> > I'm
hours away from tearing into my engine. I'll be having the head done> (valve
seats, likely a couple of valves replaced, guides, etc), replacing> timing
chains, water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, and all hoses. The only> thing I'm
worried about is the timing chain and head replacement. If anyone> has any
hints about the task I'm about to undertake, I'd really appreciate> it. Things
like, how do I make damn sure I get the cam in the right position> when I put
the head back on. I do own the "Datsun Roadster Books" so I'm> sure I can
figure out the right way to do the job. I just figure that> someone has hints
about how NOT to do things. It's always good to know where> the land mines are
before walking into the field!> > > > Thanks!> > Matt> > And Loreli (she's a
1970 Solex 2000) > ________________________________________> Support Team.Net
http://www.team.net/donate.html> > You are subscribed as
http://www.team.net/archive> >