Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info, Key Phrase

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info, Key Phrase
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:09:46 -0500
<<  No performance improvement with other plugs?  >>

Yeah Linda, that write-up was very informative, but I found the key
phrase in all that to be:

<<  One thing to keep in mind with respect to performance claims is that
no spark plug creates horsepower out of thin air. A special electrode
configuration can reduce misfiring and the voltage needed to fire the
plugs. But the spark only ignites what is already in the combustion
chamber. If there are any power gains to be had, they will be the result
of reduced misfires and nothing else.  >>
We get the most gains from GB's EI dizzy and the hotter spark (larger
gap) that can be run, and the fact that the hotter spark keeps plugs
from getting fouled.  Gains come from changing the flame front within
the cylinder, flows in/out of the chambers, fuel atomization, etc.  (etc
meaning: and a whole long list of things that I know diddly about)
A friend of mine designed a plug holder to put modern Ford F-150 plugs
(tiny, but HOT spark) into hi-perf Harley motors, which included a
compression release so that the stock battery (small) could start the
larger displacement motors.
He had large HP gains, but admitted it was probably because the bike was
running so rich prior to the swap, that all he was doing was burning all
the fuel that had always been there.

Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA