Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info, Key Phrase

To: <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Spark Plugs - General Info, Key Phrase
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:06:49 -0700
> So if Roadsters often tend to run rich (at idle or otherwise due to
> mistuned carbs, needle profiles, etc) then the hotter plugs would be
> helpful to burn more of the fuel, keep the plugs from fouling and in the
> process, possibly a bit more power as a result? Sounds good to me.
>
> Linda

If it is an otherwise good engine you are probably better running the
correct heat range plug with an upgraded ignition system. With the SU's you
may be rich at idle, and lean at higher rpm, and a hotter plug in an already
lean condition could cause detonation.

The only reason I've heard for using a hotter plug on a stock engine was
when it was worn and starting to burn oil. The hotter plug would burn off
the oil better and not foul as easily.

Daryl