Re: [Roadsters] spark plugs--revisited

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] spark plugs--revisited
From: J KRAKAUER <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 15:27:20 -0400
Keith,

Can't say that I fully agree. At least not in the past. That's why I asked
about the current situation, of which I have no familiarity. However, back in
the 60s and 70s, just about everybody with imported cars, plus plenty of
American cars too used Champion. Even many Datsun dealers back then did not
stock NGK.  I tend to think that back then there weren't any mass production
car manufacturers designing engines around any particular plug, usually the
other way around, designing engines to use off the shelf parts.

And when it came to racing plugs, there wasn't much choice other than Champion,
because of the breath of their product line.  The most common street plugs for
roadsters back then were Champion N5 or colder N3, the extended tip versions
were N9Y & N6Y.There were radio resistor versions too.  For racing  I & just
about everybody else use the recessed electrode N58R or N60R which were very
prone to fouling if not careful.  Later we switched to the N2G which had a
small platinum electrode and was much more forgiving. BTW, I took all my racing
plug recommendations from Sharp. Sorry for the senior reminiscing.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099