Re: [Roadsters] Tranny problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Tranny problem
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:12:39 -0600
Brad,

Time for some troubleshooting.

Turn the countershaft as far as it will go in one direction with the
trans in neutral and the clutch disengaged. Now, while holding the
countershaft in that position, try rotating the input shaft and see if
there is any play in it. If there is not, the binding is on the input shaft.

Try the same thing with the output shaft. if there is no play the
problem is with the output shaft.

If both input and output shaft can move it is a problem with the counter
shaft.

Do you have any end play in the countershaft when it is not binding? How
about when it binds? If there is less end play when binding, there is
something wrong with the countershaft

When you had the bellhousing off the trans did you happen to pull the
countershaft shaft out at all? If so you may have dropped a needle out
of the rear countershaft bearing. It only takes about an inch to get the
shaft out of the rear bearing.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Brad Hendrickson, On 2/12/2012 2:10 PM: