Re: [Roadsters] Thermostat Gaskets

To: Domingo Castilleja <mingocast@gmail.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Thermostat Gaskets
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:16:57 -0800 (PST)
I presume you meant "temperature guage", not ammeter.  The ammeter is not
grounded.

I was not aware that staples are included in the thermostat housing
gaskets for
1600s.  They are used on 2000s to provide a ground for the
temperature sensor.
The 2000 temperature sensor is threaded into a
housing intermediate between the
head and the water outlet elbow.  So, the
gasket between the housing and the
head needs the little brass staple to
complete the temperature meter circuit.

On the 1600, the temperature sensor
is threaded directly into the head, and
there is no gasket to interfere with
grounding.  The thermostat housing on 1600s
does not play any electrical
role.

Back to the staples.  If you actually meant "SRL311" for 2000, then I
recommend
you install an independent ground for the intermediate housing.  On
my '69 U20
motor, the intermediate housing has a steel plug opposite the
temperature
sensor.  I drilled and tapped that plug for a ground connection.
If your
housing doesn't have such a plug, connecting a ground wire will be
more
difficult, and offhand, I cannot suggest how it might be done.  I know
my
'67-1/2 2000 does not have a ground wire on the intermediate housing, and
the
there is essentially zero resistance between the housing and ground, so
the
little staples must be all right.

Gary