fot

Re: Re: figure 8 gaskets

To: mordyd@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Re: figure 8 gaskets
From: TR3197@AOL.COM
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:51:31 EDT
Mordy,

I have not checked figure 8s for compression, but I have checked your copper
gasket for compression.

First, I have never experienced a failure in the joining of the head and
block, in seven years. Probably the luck of the Irish, in combination with a
few other nationalities such as English, Scottish and more.

However, I wanted to check your copper gasket prior to a second use. I
cleaned it thoroughly and then used a small orbital sander with a fine grit
on both sides. I expected to see a  "shadow" due to upsetting of the material
at the rim of liner. I saw nothing and pattern was uniform throughout.

Perhaps this proves little and it not terribly scientific, but it gave me
confidence that there was no compression of the gasket and that the second
use of the gasket would likely be know problem.

The second use of the gasket has experience 3 races with no leakage. I expect
to use it the third time.

Joe

<<I'm not sure how much a hard piece of copper will compress down to when it
is squeezed by the liner.  I would guess that it may not... I would guess
the liner sidewalls would buckle first..

I could test it ...build a steel jig and place a liner into it and compress
it with four 1/2" studs to similar torque (105 lbs)  then remeasure the
height while compressed...  Has anyone done this already??
Do the same thing with various metal shims and without to see difference...

I would bet that SS would NOT compress at all.  In order to ensure that the
installed liner height is proper I would think that a deck plate (old head )
be used to clamp that liner down -then removed and liner height remeasured
....  What is unclear is- if the liner actually buckles while loaded -then
springs up when the load is removed and if this plays a role (if any..).

I know that when I build my engine -I use a torque plate to load the
liner...

1) Ought liners be matched for waist thickness?

2) Can liners of different manufacture be used in a "mix and match" style?

Maybe for a tractor engine in a high performance tractor engine?.... .

Mordy