fot

Fw: South of the Border...was Re: 'M80's'

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: South of the Border...was Re: 'M80's'
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2000 07:49:14 -0000

Bill wrote
----------
> From: Bill Sohl <billsohl@smtp.interactive.net>
> To: fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: South of the Border...was Re: 'M80's'
> Date: 02 February 2000 18:12
>
> Paul Richardson wrote:
> > Looking through some of my 'memoirs' from the attic, I found a sticker
from
> > 'Pedros'. It was a remarkable store in a place called Dillon, South
> > Carolina. If we drove straight down to Daytona without a stayover or
not,
> > we always stopped at Pedros. For miles before Dillon, Pedros was
announced
> > on billboards that got larger and larger every 20 miles or so until you
got
> > to Dillon.

> The place is still there.  It is actually (and always was)
 called South of the Border.  It has that name because
 it is within a couple hundred feet of the North
 Carolina/South Carolina state border <

Yes! that's the place Bill 'South of the Border,' - we called it 'Pedros'
because on the bill boards advertising the place north of Dillon there was
a Mexican with a large hat. The nearer you got to Dillon the larger the
Mexican got. It was a hell of a place. We Britts were always in awe and
somewhat nervous of the fact that you could buy any manner of firearm there
including automatic pistols.

We got stopped for speeding dozens of times on the way to Daytona
-especially in Georgia -cost teams a fortune over the years. I remember
once getting stopped in Fred Opert's transporter (It held six racing cars)
by helicopter. A loud hailer from the chopper asked us to stop. Then a
police car pulled up about 50 yards in front of us. One got out and walked
back to us whilst the other stood with one foot on the sill of the car
whilst holding a pump action shot gun. On the loud hailer the policeman
with the shot gun ordered all of us out of the cab with our hands up and
told us to lean against the side of the transporter. We had a thorough body
search, and when I turned round to answer questions the policeman put his
gun (which was pointing at me) back in his holster. I went cold.

Apparently they thought our transporter resembled a stolen one they were
after.

All the best

Paul