fot

July 4th Firecracker Parties

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: July 4th Firecracker Parties
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:50:02 EST
I finally got caught up with all these M-80 stories.  In the late 50's and
early 60's, we had M-80's, Cherry Bombs, TNT-Bombs, and 2" Salutes.  Everyone
knows what the first two items are.  The TNT-Bombs were the same as M-80's
with a silver covering and the fuse coming out of the side.  The 2" Salutes
were the same with the fuse coming out of one end.  They all had about the
same explosion power -- would blow a round bald spot in the grass about 1' in
diameter.

For ten straight years, from about ages 14 through 24, we had a traditional
firecracker party at my parents home on a hill in East Washington, Pa.
Fireworks were illegal in Pennsylvania, but someone of a drivable age would
take orders and bring back a load from the Ohio Fireworks Factory.  Later, we
all would go down to the factory in a large group.

The first time, we stood off from the counter and watched customers.  They
all were asked if they walked or drove.  Some said they walked and were
turned away.  These people then drove away empty handed with Pa. license
plates.  The factory would not sell to locals, but to everyone else.  We told
them that we were from Pennsylvania and left with a load of firecrackers,
aerial bombs, sky rockets, etc.  Upon exiting the factory grounds, we all
jumped when we suddenly saw a police car sitting there.  There was a young
girl sitting behind the wheel laughing at us.  I don't know what those
circumstances were.

We had an agreement with everyone at the party.  Should the police come, it
was everyone for himself.  Everyone was to run off the property into the
woods, which were in a different Township.  If anyone got caught, we would
all divide up the total cost of the fines.

During the last party, we were all filled with beer.  So many items were
being blown off so fast that the top of the hill was covered by a thick
blanket of smoke.  A dim view of the police appeared, which started an
avalanche of bodies crashing through the woods.  My brother an another guy
were caught because they were in the house and walked out when the police
were there.

While the investigation proceeded, a firecracker exploded in the outdoor
cooking fireplace.  Someone had thrown some firecrackers into the fire.
There were no fines, but our traditional annual parties were ended.