fot

Re: (no subject)

To: SpiwakD@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:14:50 EDT

>        A local TR3 racer is planning to reinforce his front hubs by welding
>some metal into the depression between the flanges (perhaps two crescents of
>rebar). I suggested he wait until I sought the advice of the FOT seers. I did
>
>mention to him the tip about through-bolting the flanges together, but he
>thought the extra holes on the rotor side would weaken the flange. I welcome
>any comments on this project. How many front hub breaks have there been?
>Where do they break?
>
>                                                           Dave

Dave-

In a word...yes, they break.

For all intents and purposes, everything breaks. Beef up one area and the
next weakest link will make itself known.

I would not endorse welding on the hubs, but rather perform the extra 4 bolt
strategy. This really stiffens up the front hubs and does wonders for your
brakes. The front hub flexes so much in stock form that it pushes the brake
pads back into the calipers when cornering, resulting in the old racers left
foot double pump on the brake pedal before you get to a corner to avoid
surprises.
Rather than weakening the flange with the extra hole you will find that it
will make it much stronger (or at least more resistant to flex). Another good
trick is to make tapered spacers that go between the wheel bearings to again
decrease the flex (this time of the stub axle). You will need to make the
spacers a little short then adjust with shims.
Nothing is bullet-proof, but these mods will really help keeping the wheels
attached to your TR.

Hubba Hubba....
         Nick in Nor Cal