fot

Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car

To: rcolaizzi@icondayton.com, EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Subject: Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:36:17 EDT
I bought a tub and frame that were finished...nearly everything else was in
baskets and on skids. This was $2500 and then I sold off the new parts that
were not needed to net it at about $2000.

All work, except machine shop work was done by myself and my son...with roll
cage by a stock car friend. Engine for all practical purposes was stock, the
differential was open. It looked quite good in red lacquer and white interior
panels. We were pretty close to $10,000 when we got it to the track the first
time. We were pretty resourcefull

Quaife went in the 2nd year, TR666 cam went in the 3rd year.

By the 5th year we were under 3:00 minutes at Road America and loved every
minute of it.  Development essentially ceased at this point and we are
slipping further back in the back of the pack as better drivers and cubic
cash take over.

Last big investment was a newer cam and the Southwick Axle conversion. Cam
might be doing a bit more, but needs chassis dyno to optimize. Southwick axle
keeps my body parts intact.

There are so many variables:

Old SCCA car in a barn is likely to cost you a lot of money, regardless.
Building from scratch with contracting things out is going to be $30,000
Building from scratch and doing it all yourself  (with support), can get it
done.
Finding a recent car with certain history and proven reliability is likely
the best.

There are a couple out there from time to time.