fot

Re: Easy question, engine lift

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net, timmurph@execpc.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Easy question, engine lift
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:12:36 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/01 8:11:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bradlnss@lightspeed.net writes:

<< Sounds like you are missing both the front lifting 'eye' that attaches to
 the front engine plate and the 'hook' that attaches to the right rear head
 stud. You could make up some lifting plates to attach to the front left and
 right rear head studs to hook your balance bar.

I have been removing and installing engines in my shrunk down two car garage
using an ancient chain fall connected to the cross beam with C-clamps and an
old axle pushed through them.  The front eye is left on the engine all of the
time (few grams of extra weight?), and I have to add the rear hook when the
manifolds are removed.

A chain is stretched between these two points (sometimes padding the valve
cover with towels), and the engine and transmission are lifted with the front
of the engine pointed up.  The car is then pushed out from under the engine
and transmission.

This is not the easiest way, but the only way with next to no clearance, and
to stay indoors.  I am jealous of those with cranes, but I would have to do
all of this work outdoors and get rained on.  To date, I haven't had any
slips, breaks, and smashes.