fot

Re: Hoosier Vintage TD, welded rear vs Quaiffe

To: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hoosier Vintage TD, welded rear vs Quaiffe
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:31:20 -0400
At 10:33 AM 10/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I am grappling with
>whether I should buy a quaiffe for it or continue with a welded rear.  Any
>opinions?
>
>Also, the vintage TD's are 1/2" taller than the 195-60-15's. Is there a
>rev/speed calculator available on the internet that allows you to plug in
>data?

My favorite speed calculator is:

http://www.trenterprises.com/tre_pages/gears.htm

Requires java-enabled browsers.

Has limitations, but also has lots of TR specific info already dialed in.
The circumference chalked on the last set of Hoosiers I bought was 79".

If you keep constant the gear ratios and engine RPM, and change the tire
sizes, you will see the difference in speed is not all that great,
certainly not enough to warrant a new R&P.

My experience with welded diffs was not great. I got way faster with the
Salisbury right out of the box.