fot

Re: Drag racing

To: paul-richardson@cyberware.co.uk, fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Re: Drag racing
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:00:04 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2001 3:28:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
paul-richardson@cyberware.co.uk writes:

> Reading that note about Don Garlits reminded me of the time a guy offered me
> go in one of those sling shot dragsters. I told him there was more chance of
> Lord Nelson getting his eye back than me even sitting in one. I once saw an
> engine blow on one of those top fuellers just as the driver shut off after
> the
> run. The explosion left a hole in the ground and 'shrapnel' shot everywhere.
> Some of those nitro fuel mixes could cause enormous explosions - especially
> if
> pistons fail and oil/oil mist mixes with the oxygen rich combustion process.

Amici:

We've a top notch DRAGSTER in our ranks...Ken Gillanders.  He drag raced a
TRIUMPH TR2 (still has it...detuned for street use) and used to embarrass
Corvettes in handicapped drag races.  I am not privy to all of the details,
but I believe the car won a Championship.

John Reimer, who restored the THUNDER BOLT for Bob Wismer and I, had a great
Drag Racing stint before moving to an awesome circle track career.  It all
started when he shoehorned a small block Chevy into an MG-TD.  It had a
custom intake manifold with six two barrel carbs.  He built it to chase the
likes of Jim Kimberly and Augie Pabst at ROAD AMERICA in the 1950s, but alas
the car would not stop or turn.  So he decided to go Drag Racing, where the
car was VERY impressive.  If I recall, the car topped 112 mph in the quarter
mile.  Not very impressive by today's standards, but in the 1950s that was
FAST.  He restored the car in the mid-1990s, making some chassis changes
learned down thru years.  It was still a pistol to stop, but now ran well
enough to catch LOTI and even Augie's Scarab.  He does not race it any more.
He had a scary incident with Jeffress Hailand's Lotus.  Jeff out braked him
going into ONE at ROAD AMERICA, and then pulled in front of him trying to get
back to the traditional line.  Well, the Lotus' stopping ability was three
times that of John's MG, well in spite of the fact that John stood on the
brakes and flat-spotted four tires, he drove right over Jeff's Lotus.  A
classic example of one of the major problems facing vintage racing...the wide
disparity in performance and talent (both cars and drivers) in our various
race groups.  John Reimer decided to retire with his many fond memories.  He
still has the MG-TD, and it has been detuned for street use.  Incidentally,
the cosmetics on this car would win any Concours.  It is gorgeous...just like
the Thunder Bolt he did for us.

Bill Dentinger

Bill Dentinger