fot

Re: Don Garlits

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Don Garlits
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:44:44 -0700
Rocky Entriken wrote:

> I wonder, then, if that Speedvision interview you saw WAS referencing some
> demonstration run made prior to the U.S. Nationals? And then his appearance
> in that event being the truth that it was not his last run.

No, That is the one to which I was referring.

> Garlits originally wanted to get one of his own "Swamp Rat" cars into the
> race, but was unable to get it up to speed. So sometime early August IIRC he
> arranged a deal with another car owner (I forget who -- could probably look
> it up on the NHRA website) and got his car into the show.

That sorta gives more credence to the "Demonstration" theory (I'm not
absolutely sure that was the term used, but that was the gist).  I think the
whole Muldowney/Garlits presence was in essence a celebration of the history of
the sport and having them participating (whether competitive or not)
was the the basic idea.  In that light, I could see how Garlits might perceive
that it was more on the order of what happens at Goodwood every year!

> He's not the oldest dog making a showing this year. Chris Karamesines ("The
> Golden Greek") is in his early 70s and got into a few races this year. As a
> certified Old Fartz, these guys become my heroes.  :-)

And Mine as well!!!!

Joe (C)