fot

Re: Weber Jets

To: wgrosenbach@juno.com, mjb@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber Jets
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:44:41 EST
       Excellent point. I remember too little of my training as a glorified
plumber (chemical engineer) to offer specifics. Since delivery of chemical
fluids is a major cost in the design of chemical plants, we were trained to
examine this issue in considerable detail. There are actually three long
complex mathematical equation (mass , energy, and momenteum equations) that
were used to size the pumps that addressed everything from fluid viscosity
and pipe diameter to each type of bend (curve verses 90 degree bend) in the
delivery pipe

       Most certainly, the gpm values offered by Holly and others is based on
a specific set of circumstances. It serves as a relative measure of pump
performance. What actually happens in individual racecars will vary depending
on their "plumbing".

       Engineers, particularly civil & sanitary engineers (my other little
used college technical degree), calculate out these theoretical numbers, then
provide a safety factor of 2 to 3 times the needed size and backup pumps.
(People get made when the sewage pumps fail and it gets backup in their
basements !!!) I suspect that the Holly pump that Joe has offered has a
safety factor of well over 2 or 3 times. Two of them sounds better than one.

       This gets me back to my previous question. If the SCCA is placing
significant restrictions on the performance of the Webers in SCCA EP, can one
get better performance out of the other alternative carbs in this
circumstance. I believe that Kas on more than one occassion as indicated he
achieve good SU performance that matched the Webers. If the alternative carbs
are not as restircted as the webers, pehaps that is a better alternative for
this application.

Cary