fot

fender lips, turn signals

To: "FOT LIST" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: fender lips, turn signals
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:50:15 -0600
Amici,
Work is progressing on my TR4A project (see it at:
http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rgk/

I am trying to maintain a period correct restoration, but like all race cars,
it changed over the years. Due to severe rust I'm not re-using much of the
original body. I want to reuse the fenders, but they have been banged around a
bit over the years.  Sometime in it's racing life the fender bottom lips have
been hammered flat up (only around the top half of the arc) and rolled out
into a small but noticeable flare. Was this common in the late 60's or more
toward the 70's? In CVAR we use 1972 SCCA rules, all they require is that the
fender opening profile be maintained and no material added, but I want to meet
the rules elsewhere. What's the norm here?

Also, this car had the turn signal openings covered with fiberglass. Reading
the 1972 GCR, all such lights must be removed and holes covered. The 1967
rules have no such provision. Looking at the FOT pictures of TR4's I see only
one car with turn signals. Are they disallowed by some or most race
organizations?

Bob Kramer
rgk@flash.net