fot

Re:Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:41:54 EST
<snip>
>   I finally noticed that when you take the plug
> out of the Purolater Filter Head to hook up the original Triumph oil
> cooler,
> the spring and ball must be removed.

<snip>Not at all!  The factory filter head hose adapter has a seat for the
relief spring and ball!

  > a long time with a direct filter
> bypass to the
  oil gallery.

<snip>Sadly, yes.

BTW The factory setup runs the oil through the filter before the cooler.  I
have run this setup for years with the standard oil filter (Hint) and Redline
oil.  The one problem with the factory set up was the 90 deg bend out of the
filter head fitting; numerous
TR2/3 racers had this work loose as it hit the frame and steering tube.
Naturally
it was a whitworth fitting that was very hard to get to!

I would bet that Greg Solow's set up is a good one, although I have not run
it.  NFI

> My old original red TR-3 shop manual talks about some of the oil bypassing
> the filter cartridge, and going directly to the oil gallery.

<snip>You will note that the TR2 and TR3 up to commission#.... had a by pass
(only) oil filter assy. that did not filter much of the oil.  This was a
strange custom of the time, and was fixed in later TR3 production, none too
soon!  It is all in the red
factory shop manual.

    Hardy TS10646L   equipped with a by pass filter from the factory; luckily
the
factory TR2/3 oil cooler kit would not work with it!