fot

RE: generic question on compression checks

To: "'Brad Kahler'" <brad.kahler@141.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: generic question on compression checks
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:04:40 -0700
How old is this Jeep?

First thing I would do is a leakdown test on all cylinders--compression
testing doesn't tell you what going on unless it's gross failure. If they
are all holding well, then my assumption would be that the emission
control stuff was cattywumpus. On newer vehicles virtually every system
that could emit vapor or stuff feeds back into the engine for burning and
catalyzing into warm mothers milk plus CO2. It doesn't take much for all
this stuff to stop working right, and when it does, you're screwed. In a
simpler time I'd say check the PCV valve, but new motors hardly even have
them.

I consider myself a decent mechanic, which means I don't B.S, myself about
my limitations--I don't touch anything under the hood of any engine newer
than 1970. I don't even change the oil. A rebuilder will be clueless--they
are machinists and parts switchers. Here in Portland we're lucky enough to
have one garage owned by a guy who has all the equipment and understands
all this stuff. I take everything that's off warranty except the Ferrari
to him.

Find a guy like him.