fot

Re: Power for a lift.

To: "'Bob Kramer'" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Power for a lift.
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:10:53 -0500
I agree with Russ.  If the "converter" costs $600, that is probably
a greater cost than buying a brand new 220v single phase motor.

A used motor would be even less.

You might see who manufactured the original 3-phase motor and,
if the manufacturer is still around, check to see if there is a direct
replacement as a single phase 220.

Another thought is the actual purpose to which the lift will be
used for.  If the lift is rated for a weight that is far above
what you will use the lift for, than you might even get away
with a smaller 2-3 horsepower motor.  For example: If the
lift is rated at 8000 pounds and you never expect to put anything larger
than a Triumph (i.e. under 4000 pounds) on it, then a smaller HP
motor should do fine.

One last approach is to go to a hand crank if there is enough
gear reduction in the set-up.

By the way, who is selling these used lifts?  Where?

Cheers,
Bill Sohl