fot

Re: Not Cool

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Not Cool
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:17:40 -0500
Actually, the lack of thermostat sounds right.

Or, take the thermostat, knock out the central pieces, and just leave the
outer ring. That seems to be the SOP for a racing Spit.

At least, for the 1147.  Not sure if that carries to the 1296 too.

Basically, you want more flow, but of course you also want it to be cool
flow. Some years back I was having an overheating problem -- as in, it would
get hot really quick; one autox run would get me up to 210+ and it would not
cool quickly, so it would sometimes take me two heats to get in four runs. I
was constantly spraying the radiator from a waterspray bottle. A friend
suggested rodding out the radiator. Took the rad to a radiator shop where
they popped off the top and bottom and ran a rod through the vertical tubes.
Mine was so clogged, they could not even get the rod through a couple of the
tubes, but it still made such a remarkable difference that I can sit and
idle for long periods now without overheating. And I make all my runs
without delaying the event. Back to back runs are no problem. Sometimes I
come off course and the temp is at 200, and a few minutes later (with the
engine off) it percolates up to 220, but as soon as I hit the key again and
get water flowing it drops almost immediately to <190. And I haven't brought
the spray bottle along since. (My temp pickup, BTW, is right in the
thermostat cover, and the radiator is a stock Mk. I unit).

--Rocky