fot

Not Cool

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Not Cool
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:01:06 -0600 (MDT)
So it has been 100+ the last few days here in Salt Lake, yuck.  About this
time last year you may remember I wrote about a British Motor Club of Utah
drive where I ended up putting along the interstate in a Spitfire Mark 1
during the hottest part of the hottest day ever recorded in the valley.
I won't be doing that this year.

What I will be doing is going to an autocross in the red racing Spit.  Last
week the water temp was hovering around 220 F, though the oil temps stayed
around 150.  This sunday promises to be hotter than last sunday, so I'm a
bit concerned about cooling.  I popped off the thermostat cover on the early
1296 motor, and found out there was no thermostat.  No problem, I'll make a
restrictor plate, with the recommended, uh, well, err, I seem to recall
that 5/8" was the proper size orifice, but I can't find any info in my
notes.  Does a 5/8" hole in the restrictor plate sound right to other
Spit racers?

mjb.