fot

Re: So you really want to go fast...

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: So you really want to go fast...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:25:48 -0700
Bill Babcock wrote:

> Actually, as one of the most common airplanes ever, parts should be easier
> to get than a longdoor TR3. You can get them upgraded to modern avionics and
> weaponry in India and Israel. Heads up display, new engine, laser guided
> munitions, all on a plane that first saw daylight in 1959.
>
> I'm thinking it could be stripped to bare aluminum and called Peyote Mk III.

Sure it's aluminum? A lot of Russian aircraft in and around that period were
carbon steel. I worked with a Russian
engineer who started out life as a Badger pilot, stationed in Siberia. Said the
worst thing was taking one up for a
check flight after major maintenance. One day, he was ordered to take one up
and refused. "Why not?," said his
commander, "this is a good Russian aircraft!" He pointed at the wing and said,
"and that's good Russian rust!"

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.