fot

Re: lube torqued fasteners?

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, jsukey@eng.utoledo.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lube torqued fasteners?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:19:00 EST
In a message dated 3/16/04 6:53:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jrherrera90@hotmail.com writes:

<< There must be someone in your area that could fix your click-type torque
 wrench. This used to be called calibration but now they call it metrology.
 Always turn them down to their lowest setting when you are done with them.
 They are most accurate in the middle of the range, least accurate at the
 ends. >>

The guys at work checked it in their calibration lab before I retired.  They
then drew me a curve.  The wrench was actually reading high in the lower
range, causing me to use too little torque for most bolts.  At 100 ft-lb, it
was
accurate and the head bolts were probably torque about right. This wrench is a
cheesy JC Whitney model that I bought in my youthful days when I was counting
pennies.  It is probably not worth fixing.

I recently acquired another click wrench from Matthew's Wall Anchor.  They
installed six big plates trying to stop my garage-basement wall from caving in.

They then left what looks like a better torque wrench set a 80 ft-lbs for me
to torque the carriage nuts on the plates once a month.  I better go
downstairs and turn that one down to zero.