fot

Rose Cup Races

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "'SpitfireMailList'"
Subject: Rose Cup Races
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:46:45 -0700
It went well this weekend.  I fought a high rpm misfire.  Not sure what it
is yet, but I'm thinking valve float off the top of my head as timing was
set perfect, fuel pressure was good, mixture was good...spark was good...it
was weird.  I had Bob Yarwood look at it and he couldn't figure it out.  The
other thought is that it could be the MSD box, I haven't looked into that
yet and this may be the more likely scenario as both the crank trigger and
distributor displayed the same symptoms.

Practice:  Went out and did 5 laps to heat cycle the new tires and bed new
brakes in.  Nothing really exciting happened but there were a ton of cars!
Something like 60 on track (1.9 miles)  I didn't try anything
spectacular...and brought it in early.

qualifying:  I was 5 seconds off my best time and was just starting to play
with the new brakes.  They are awesome.  The car was way down on power from
last year and it was all I could do to pull 4th gear on the straights.  Same
problem as before but becoming a little worse.  We came in from qualifying
and found that the hose from the fuel cell to the filter had worked loose
and the pump was drawing air.  This appeared to be part of the problem.

race:  started on the 2nd to last row.  made a good start after sever cars
locked brakes and swerved I lifted and 2 guys got around me.  I got into the
chicane ok and got by a couple people.  It seemed as though the power was a
little better and I got within 3 seconds of my best time, but still having
troubles pulling 4th on the straights.  I did find that was only one car in
the run group that could keep with me during the twisty bits, everyone that
lapped me ended up holding me up after they got by.  I lost everything on
the straights.  I had a good race with a couple spec miatas and I'm
definitely getting more aggressive now that I'm not banking on the finish to
get my license.  We all swapped positions for about 4 laps then I made a
decent move on them into the chicane figuring that I could put enough
distance to keep in front, with the discs in the rear I was able to move the
braking point from about 275 to the 200 marker (some of that was the fact
that I wasn't carrying as much speed, but it was so much more stable under
braking).  They were holding me up and once I got clear of them I pulled
about 5 seconds on them.  Then about 5 laps from the end it dropped a
cylinder or something bad as it started to run horrible.  It seemed to want
to run but was WAY down on power...even more so than before.  The two miatas
caught right up and went by.  I limped it around for the last few laps and
took the chequered flag and a victory lap.  the car won't start now and i
haven't pulle

All the best

Aaron Johnson
#38 F Production Spitfire Mk4 Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9
d the bonnet to see what's going on.

Best of all...it was a weekend at the track.