fot

RE: Axle Steel

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Axle Steel
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:12:35 -0700
Mark,

You are correct that use of vacuum heat treat will reduce the scale.  If you
plan on heat treating in a final condition that scale produced by the
carburising furnace contains micro cracks and other surface contamination
that would be detrimental to the material properties.  On use carburising on
the chrome steels if you are planning to machine to finish size after the
heat treatment.

In my aerospace world we only use vacuum...but I believe the material spec
doesn't require it (except for titanium).

aaron