fot

RE: Tires

To: "'Tony Drews'" <tony@tonydrews.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tires
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:38:18 -0700
Wow, what are you doin' to those puppies? I get a full season out of one set
on Peyote, and it's not a light car--1550#. Are you cording them or do you
just feel they get too hard?

I spend a lot of time getting my tire pressure and suspension stuff right.
The TD's don't like much camber--they're stiff in the sidewall. I have about
1 1/2 degrees, and zero toe in. I'm running 21# in the front and 23# in the
rear and the temps are good. Still a little hot on the inside edge, but I'm
not doing it on a skid pad--just at the track. With that setup my tires last
and last.

One thing to do for sure. Put one good heat cycle into your new tires and
let them cool down completely before you do it again--overnight is best.
Sounds like hocus pocus, but I've had two tire guys I trust tell me that,
and it really seems to make a difference in durability and the ability to
take a lot of cycles. Also, when you come in the pits with hot tires get
them up in the air on jack stands so they don't flat spot and they cool
evenly.

All that said I sure would like to find some good Radials for Peyote--I bet
they'd be worth a couple of seconds. Sure is fun sliding those hoosiers
though.