fot

Re: Broken Crank Survey

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>,
Subject: Re: Broken Crank Survey
From: 19to1tr6@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:33:05 +0000
Last Sept. at LRP   I came home with a busted  tr6 crank  on #4  but the odd
thing I never felt it go>>   ON entering  Big bend   the motor quits  >  in the
paddock  I find  no spark and   a cooked up Pertronix  ignighter >> compression
is good  on all but #5 wich is about 20 lbs off    Latter  at home I find  a
broken # 10 spring >> So a quick lap job  with no evidence of damage from the
busted spring> the heads back on > Pertronixs  gave me a freebe (long warenty)
      So  she is up and running with a very scaryy rap   Funny how you can dial
 the rap in and out buy>>playing with the timming.>>   But wait there is more
to the story  while disabled on the track i was hit hard in the rear  breaking
the RH motor mount. The rear of the tub was moved about an 1" forward and to
Drivers rgt It was a mess  lost the fenders and valance >B post moved as well
So its pretty much a chicken and egg thing for me  >>>>>>> Stock Crank and rods
  race preped >turned.10 under   It ran 30 events  Iwent conssitanly over 6500
and along the way throw in a few blown shifts buzzing  her  way up there. The
dyno jet best result for this motor was 155 hp and 152 tor  (wheels) I did
minor damage to the top of #6 piston while trying to dail her in after the head
job; I did not loose any other bits except the crank I realize how lucky I was
to have a motor go for so long  I replaced a thrust washer  I found that by
luck  as well  , it certantly wasn't  form my mant. schedual> hardly touched
the valves Boy this is even getting hard for me to believe >The head was never
re tor from new and I spun the fly wheel off twice > ok ya got  me  I really
only spun it off  once > around event 22 (4 bolts on the fly wheel)   My only
ritual was to check plugs , compression and valves after each event >>"Motor
tec" in New Bedford Ma. built the motor   This seasons motor I am down to 143
at the wheels  but thats another to long   story