fot

RE: Road Atlanta Gear Ratio

To: yellowandgreen@comcast.net, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Road Atlanta Gear Ratio
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:51:06 -0800
Funny you should ask, I had a long chat with Ken Gillanders at BFE about
that this morning. Not specifically Road Atlanta, but the tracks where I've
been lifting to keep from over revving. The big question seems to be--what's
in your motor. I've been considering 7200 RPM to be my redline and truth be
told I get all squirmy at 6800. That means at two tracks I run a lot I'm
lifting about 2/3rds of the way down the straight (or listen to my rev
limiter make the engine sound like it's gagging). But I have a steel crank,
Carillo rods, good valve springs, forged pistons, light flywheel and clutch
with eight ARP bolts and two dowels. Pshaw says Ken, it's fine at 8000.

Yikes!

Well, it's not Ken's first rodeo, so I'm going to listen to him and swap out
my 7200 RPM rev limiter for an 8000 chip, and squeeze my knees together real
tight at the end of the straight. That means my 4.1 is just fine and I can
power out of those tight corners in second.

I suspect your 4.1 is fine.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins