fot

Re: FOT Project Pulley

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FOT Project Pulley
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:01:10 -0600
I made my current pulley by turning down a big (approx. 4 or 5 inch
diameter) chunk of steel.  It took forever.  It would be much simpler to
machine a hub and bolt an off-the-shelf pulley and harmonic balancer to
it. I don't know what off-the-shelf items would work. Suggestions?

Does anyone run an electric pump?  Would it be vintage legal?

If you're running hot enough to form steam, you can always increase the
block pressure by changing the radiator cap. However, I've seen problems
which I suspected were due to too much block pressure.  I'm hard headed,
so it took a while for Kramer to convince me not to run more than a 7
psi cap. With separate liners that protrude above the block deck, our
engines have many places to develop leaks at high pressure.  A better
solution is to install a higher capacity radiator.  This is one of the
best mods I've done.  Mine is a commodity Chevy radiator that I got from
Speedway Motors for about $150.  For a TR3, you'll have to cut off the
filler neck and weld a patch over the hole.  I fill thru an expansion
tank mounted on the firewall, but it would be better to have a neck
welded into the thermostat housing.  I have enough to worry about when
I'm racing, this eliminated one of them.