fot

Re: Kill Switches

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kill Switches
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:13:43 -0400
At 11:31 PM 04/23/2005 -0400, WEmery7451@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/23/05 4:04:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>cartravel@pobox.com writes:
>
><< CVAR tech inspectors do require you to rev the engine to 3,000 and flip
>the kill switch.  If it doesn't die, your car fails.>>
>
>I wonder if he will pay for any damages that may occur?

My kill switch just shuts off the ground. No fancy kill switch with
alternator contacts here.

If tech inspectors ask to see the car shut off by the kill switch, I
refuse. I simply tell the tech inspector the kill switch will not stop the
engine, the alternator will keep it running.

Apparently, this is a no-go item with SCCA, but not the Vintage groups I
run with. Hasn't been an issue. I have received annual tech's from VSCDA
and VDCA, both asked about the kill switch stopping the engine. Both were
made aware my car is wired this way.

When the kill switch dies on my car, I will replace it with one with a
second set of contacts for the alternator. But, from what I have heard
about a bad batch of kill switches, I'm not messing with something I know
works fine.