fot

RE: Mitty

To: "'Henry Frye'" <henry@henryfrye.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mitty
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 07:01:08 -0700
I think the pace car driver decided it was up to him to start the race and
he didn't want people to know when he was planning to pull off. From what I
can tell the drivers believed that too--when the pace car pulled off they
all just nailed it. Disconcerting for me in the front row of group two--I
was waiting for the green.

I think it has to do with the layout of the track. The start finish is very
close to the downhill turn. I feel like one of those pain-in-the-ass
Californians who say "that's not how we do it in California" (not that any
FOT members would fit that description) but I was really struck by how
different the organization is. The unmuffled cars thing seems suicidal--lots
of houses within earshot.