fot

RE: Mid Ohio

To: "'N197TR4@cs.com'" <N197TR4@cs.com>, jsnook@wcnet.org, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mid Ohio
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:48:42 -0700
Since you have the opportunity, the overarching concern I hear from people
in the Northwest who have raced there, and people in FOT is heavy-handed
security. If that is indeed the biggest issue then I'd be sure to
concentrate on that rather than specific instances which can simply be
explained away.

I admire the approach of trying to take a list of concrete grievances to the
management, but at the risk of appearing uncooperative, I'd point out that
they are the vendor and we are the customers. It's up to them to identify
concrete ways that they are dealing with a problem that they obviously know
they have. Examples of correctable faults are important, but they also
create a way for responsibility to slip away, and that won't do anyone any
good.

What I think you really need are two things:

Confirmation from management that they understand the security problems were
substantial and that they are responsible for the problem (it's easy to
blame the guy you just fired, but they hired the guy and gave him his
marching orders).

A written document that they commit to distributing to all security people,
outlining how they are to behave (what you're looking for here is not the
elimination of effective security, but an understanding that over-reaction
to a situation is not acceptable, and that they are dealing with
customers--they deserve respect even when they break "the rules").

If you get anything close to that, you win, and we all win, and they win,
and people might be willing to give them another try. Otherwise it's just
talk.