fot

RE: Hassles at the Border

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>, <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: Hassles at the Border
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:43:02 -0400
My best Canadian Border experience was discovering, upon returning from a
Greenland expedition to Frobisher Bay, I had no identification...none! No
pilot's license, no insurance papers, nothing. The Customs Officer not only
believed me, she accompanied me to dinner and we shared an incredibly
delightful evening of adult beverages and some kind of hokey buguloo
dancing.

My worst (in Canada) was at Thunder Bay when I forgot to call customs one
hour out from landing. Ground Control parked me at the farthest, most remote
corner of the airport.  There I waited 2 1/2  hours for the customs officer
to finally vent his spleen on my thoughtlessness. I had just flown a
thousand miles through about the crapiest weather you can imagine and the
peace and silence of the wait was just about perfect. After I apologized for
my mistake and he cleared my back to civilization, we became fairly
friendly. We never did go dancing though.

Richard