fot

Re: Cam followers for 1147 engine

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam followers for 1147 engine
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:56:22 +1200
The cam followers were changed midway through the Spitfire Mk II in 1965,
depending on the rules you could use a later block (note these blocks also
have larger cam journals and can therefore have cam bearings fitted). Almost
certainly there will be only one manufacturing source for the early cam
followers (144343), Canley Classics list them at #7 each - don't worry too
much about trying to do anything with them - the followers themselves very
rarely fail. Much more important is to make sure the cam has been rehardened
if it is a reprofiled one, a new one shouldn't be touched but make sure
(from the supplier) a repofile has been either tuftrided or ferritic nitro
carburised. The finish should be dull grey, if it is a shiny black it hasn't
been hardened.
John Kipping