fot

Re: Carb Oil.

To: Cofrog@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carb Oil.
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:42:08 -0500
Hi Dan!

We run just the tops of the pistons in the dashpots (the black plastic
tops that screw on) and omit the oil.  What the oil does is damp the
piston response so in your street car you have a smooth acceleration
when you step on the pedal, and a smooth back-off when you take your
foot off.  We want quick response in racing, not a slower damping of the
effect -- I use my foot to modulate where I want the throttle to be and
don't rely on damping.

There has been a debate since the beginning of time (or at least since
dashpot carbs were invented) about what oil to put in the pots.  I have
always tried to use 3-in-1 oil in my street-car carbs, since it gives
some damping effect but is still responsive the way I like it.  Others
recommend just about any grade of engine oil, depending on who you talk to.

YRMV!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan      :)
(Whose parents fled N.O. again for the second time in about as many
weeks and are visiting our piney ranch in the AR woods!)