fot

Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?

To: <herald948@aol.com>, <britcars@bellsouth.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:16:34 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <herald948@aol.com>
To: <henry@henryfrye.com>; <britcars@bellsouth.net>; <s.janzen@comcast.net>;
<fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:46 AM

Stopping is a function of both the tow vehicle brakes and the trailer
brakes.  Contemporary systems allow you to adjust/balance the braking
effect of trailer and tow vehicle as well as providing a manual (by hand) a
dditional trailer brake effort if you wish.

Additionally, as with any vehicle/trailor combination, allowing sufficient
stopping distances calls for more vigilant driver awareness than
when we just motor around in a non-towing 4 wheeler.

> ==AM==
> Anyone wanna hear my story about losing the rear brakes on my Ford
> Explorer while still 250 miles from home...and towing a heavy trailer
> loaded with a Standard Pennant sedan? Planning is everything when one
> needs to slow and stop. Ironically, the brakes went out in Mechanicsburg,
> PA, on a Saturday afternoon during which NO mechanics were to be found
> anywhere near the Interstate....

When the rear brakes went, did you lose trailer braking?

(SNIP)

Cheers,
Bill Sohl